View Single Post
      04-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

yeah, the polyurethane glue is total bs.. i read that too haha

its stuck on with 3m tape just like the spoiler is
basically there is the outer shark fin cover ( which is the part you see) which has 2 prongs in the back of it so dont break it.
then there is a smaller fin inside that has electronic components attached to it.
get dental floss, or thread and cut around all the 3m tape that you can. they you will be able to get the fin cap off (remember 2 prongs in the back so dont wiggle it too much side to side)

once that is off then just use a screw driver to unscrew the smaller fin underneath.. lift it out of the hole in your roof then detach the 3 wires connected to it.

tuck the wire back in the big hole and tape it up. then use goo gone to get all the residue off from the roof left behind from the fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McReary View Post
I thought about removing the fin, but I couldn't get much information on how to do it anywhere. There's a DIY guide here (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=34388), but it was for the e46 M3, which has a different shark fin setup I think ?
If you can fill us in on a small set of instructions to removing the shark fin that would be awesome and I can adjust the diy accordingly! I thought I'd have to deal with polyurethane glue or something so I figured it was going to be a hassle, but I would definitely be interested in redoing the vinyl with no shark fin to hassle with even more this time around

Also the side "x" parts from my diagram (I don't know what to call it...) is what you suggested that can pop out? Any set of instructions for that? I think if there's no name for it, we can refer to it as the ski rack railing. If that can pop out easily, I can see how you can tuck the roof vinyl under it, and just separately vinyl the railings and pop them back in. Cool! Thanks for the info and suggestions!
Appreciate 0