12-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #23
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4talyst View Post
lmao...you're joking when comparing brakes to nav...right? How did people find their way around for decades before the advent of navigation? Nav is overpriced when installed as a factory option (pretty much applies to all car manufacturers) and completely unnecessary for anyone with a 3 digit iq...

Frankly I haven't had to look at a real map in years, other than a couple times I took printed google maps with me on vacation. I don't know any men who think its needed, most of my friends agree it's just for bling and letting the wife watch a dvd while on a roadtrip.
Yes, I was joking about the brakes, but was using it as a comparison to show that maps don't do what a nav can do. To be honest, I wouldn't have gotten iDrive on my e90, but I was doing a European Delivery, my wife can't read maps, and I didn't want to be in divorce court.

Since having the car here in the States, I used the nav a LOT more than I thought I would have. Actually, I'd probably be backing up your anti-nav argument if I didn't have first hand experience to the contrary.

Btw, there are no stock navigation systems sold in the US that allow you to watch DVDs from the dashboard while in motion.

I'm not saying I don't know how to "work" a map, and I've made due with them, and with mapquests/google map directions in the past. None of those can help you find places in the dark, reroute you around traffic, get you back on track after a missed turn, or allow you to find places around you (like gas, mechanic, eateries, places of interest, etc). Don't knock it, unless you've tried it...
Appreciate 0