01-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I gotta chime in on the Nav debate (gotta? well I probably could refrain ; -). I'm an inveterate map user/collector (not collecting valuable maps, just that every map I've ever owned ends up in a drawer). I love plotting routes - and will spend hours pouring over maps before taking a vacation. But I also know that once underway I have no reliable map reader as a backup (my wife can't read a map to save our marriage either ; -).

Most of the built-in Nav systems I've messed with haven't thrilled me. My father-in-law and I managed to lock up the nav system in an Acura RL after telling it we wanted to go to Brisbee, AZ and then took off east at a high rate of speed, ignoring its recommendations gleefully. ; -) The most recent go around with a nav system was in a high-zoot Subaru Outback - had a dulcet male British accent, we nicknamed that thing, Nigel the Nagging Navigator. A real pain.

But I really could have used a decent nav system when I went west in '03. I wanted badly to explore a county road in the southeast corner of Utah (near Monument Valley) but I didn't trust the paper maps to give me enough information (wrong scale). Couple the perceived need for a detailed navi and a potential European Delivery and I will get a nav.

That being said, it will not be a factory unit. When I plan the route for a day's journey it's going to have a bunch of waypoints. If the nav can't do waypoints (routes) then I don't want it. I've zeroed in on the Garmin nuvi 770 as the most viable. Any thoughts?
The 770 looks nice. I currently have the 680 for my vehicles and it's been great. We've been happy with all of our Garmin electronics.
Appreciate 0