View Single Post
      03-19-2024, 11:39 AM   #8
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
amg6975, would it even be remotely possible for a regular diyer to build what you made? Amazing work. Also, you say your wheel replaced the shifter. Does that literally mean what you say, your shifter is gone?
No shot. It has a custom board it in with custom firmware. I have a few but I don't think I could bring myself to sell them for liability reasons.

I never put it back in the car after doing the S65 swap but yes, the GWS was completely gone. I routed power and CAN from the shifter through the airbag twisted pairs, made a custom harness that connected to the airbag connector on the other side of the clock spring, that then went through a quick disconnect. My board/firmware interacted with the CAN exactly the same as the stock shifter but everything was done via button pushes on the steering wheel.

The display displayed several things like actual coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp. It had some rudimentary data logging built in and a Bluetooth radio to download it but I never got that far. My goal was to make it compatible with AIM software. One thing I had that I really liked was a live read out of min corner speeds and max straight speeds as you went along. I read an article where Michael Schumacher was talking about how that was the only display he ever paid attention to, it was very handy.

There were a few things I wasn't too happy with on that revision, and I've been meaning to make a more polished version but just haven't found any time to spend on it. I think at this point I'm more likely to just use an AIM wheel and make a custom interface for it at the SZL connector.
Appreciate 1
houtan707.00