United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Piece of advice:

Firstly, keep an eye on the status of mountain passes by using for example this website (it's in German but easy to understand; use Google Translate in case of doubt):
https://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse

Secondly, if you're inexperienced regarding mountain driving, try to limit trips to 7 hours of driving estimated on paper. In reality it's more time because of stops for food, fuel and pictures. Most start to struggle with focus and fatigue around 7 hours of mountain driving. Don't underestimate the differences in height, speed, turning, weather (sun heat) and - most of all - the road conditions and driving circumstances challenging your concentration and stamina/endurance. Personally, I can drive up to 12 consecutive hours in the mountains (actually, sunset is my reference point for ending a day trip - darkness quickly kicks in after sunset).

Last but not least, keep it safe. Mountain driving is an exercise in self-control and concentration. It ain't no game, competition or race. Mistakes can cost you dearly. Happy motoring !
Totally agree 200 miles / 8 hours is the maximum I think. Anything other than that and you're cutting into your rest time. As you say, pictures, food and fuel all add time, but also to add, traffic jams, road works, slow moving vehicles and closed roads. Every year we've had a closed road and been forced to back track for a few miles and find a different route. That could easily add an extra hour to the driving day.

This website is also good for pass conditions; https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/v...n/default.aspx

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50