04-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #7
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Dackel you are 100% correct and it is ok to use LSD like we use Kleenex for any tissue but when I was at Garching M picking up my 1M, I quite offended their M people when I called the 1M differential an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Port installed LSDs like the one offered on the M235 are limited slip in terms that they transfer up to 20% of the power to the other wheel. When I used LSD to refer to the 1M, I was abruptly corrected. "There is nothing limited about the M differential" <--Add German-English accent : )

The M differential is a FULL-LOCK differential...it can completely lock both wheels whereas a Limited Slip will only transfer on average 15-20%.

I just wanted to clarify it for others. Cheers!
it's called a Variable Lock Differential not a "full lock differential"

the 1M has the same differential as the E9X M3 which in turn has pretty much the same differential as the E46 M3. and it's always been known as a Variable Lock M Differential.

It means as you said a full transfer of power to the wheel with fraction, instead of partial transfer; but this can be totally variable, hence the name. More options and more flexibility.