View Single Post
      10-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #79
MechE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Obiwun,

My experience with the Ohlins is more positive than yours. I just came back from a 200 mile mountain road drive over rather bumpy and wet roads, and I couldn’t be happier. The car never felt unsettled and was always confidence inspiring. That said, I was probably driving at around 6-7 tenths. Maybe I would feel differently if I was pushing harder.

At the moment, my car is set at 16 clicks from full stiff all the way around on the factory PS2s. My car has been lowered about 12mm from the factory ride height. I settled on 16 clicks after a lot of back-to-back testing on a particularly entertaining section of road. I could easily feel the difference between 15, 16, and 17 clicks. I have not done any testing with different settings for the front and the rear, but I am curious to test such a configuration even though I don’t feel I have anything to “fix”.

I always felt the factory suspension was underdamped in rebound, which would unsettle the car. In addition, I find the Ohlins to be far more comfortable over sharp impacts. Over large motions, I feel the Ohlins are stiffer than the factory suspension, but they are never jarring and body motion is always well controlled and smooth.

One thing to possibly consider would be adjusting your spring preloads. I’m far from an expert in this area, but I imagine an improper preload (high or low) would impact ride quality and consistency. I started with the recommended preload settings in Ohlins’ instructions and slightly reduced the preload for the lighter weight of the 1M versus the M3. The above said, I don’t think this is a very sensitive adjustment and a difference of a few millimeters is probably not significant.

I’m also interested in learning what other 1M drivers have experienced with the Ohlins and what settings they are using.

John
Appreciate 0