Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I really liked the N55 I had in my 135is...but in terms of power and performance the N54 feels more cavernous and bold. The N54 is very reliable when kept stock; the peeps who modify the N54 run into trouble...
Interesting. I have to wonder how much of that has to do with it being in the 1M, because, when I was shopping for a regular 135i, I didn't find much in it. Did you ever compare stock N54 135i vs. N55 135i? The N54 maybe felt slightly more jumpy, but the N55 was smoother and sounded better. All in all, not much in it at stock levels, and reliability of the N55 is better, even at stock levels. That was a reason for the redesign.

Either way, I'm certainly not here M bashing. I love the 1M, big time! I just like talking nuance. I'll trade ya any time.
They feel very different to me. The N55 has less turbo lag and felt almost closer to an N/A the turbo is so smooth. I felt it revved out better at higher RPMs. The N54 feels like an ass kicker from 1k through 4K RPM.

I have driven a regular 135 with an N54 and the twin turbos feel different compared to the N55. In the 1M the twin turbos feel a bit more dramatic but similar...

I do agree the N55 sounds better!!! Definitely