View Single Post
      03-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I saw on another thread that ________ is making a plate with Camber and Caster adjustable independently, I'm not saying it's a Better choice over Vorshlag, just it has a feature that I desire.
Well, I thought I'd better reply - seems like there's some confusion regarding the Vorshlag plates.

Just like our BMW E30, E36 and E46 (and EVO X) camber plate designs, the Vorshlag 1 series/ E90 camber plate is both camber and caster adjustable, and each adjustment is independent of each other. In all likelihood you will probably never change the caster on a 1 series, no matter who's plates you are using.

135i with max negative camber travel - that's all there is to get, up top

This stems from the fact that the BMW 1 series chassis is SEVERELY camber limited and you end up trading away most of the positive caster adjustment to gain more negative camber travel - and getting more camber is much more important in these cars. Its not a question of the camber plate's design, its simply a limitation of the chassis. Still, we went ahead and made them camber and caster adjustable, because people always want to have a choice. BMW made the strut tower openings small and moved the entire towers outboard quite a bit relative to other BMW chassis. With anyone's 1 series plates you are lucky to get -2° to -3° of camber (depending heavily on ride height) with the strut top maxxed out at the inboard most spot on the strut tower's circular opening (as shown above). As with just about any strut front suspension car there is a trade off between camber and caster, since the strut tower opening is circular.

What many 1 series and E90/92 3 series racers are doing is using adjustable camber plates along with the E90/92 M3's longer lower front control arms. This increases potential negative camber. Sorry folks - blame BMW for making these cars this way. We can get up to -5° camber on the later E36 models and all E46 models just by sliding the camber plates in the stock strut towers - there is just more room for camber travel on those chassis.

Our E90 plate design has been revised and updated in several ways since we started making them in June of 2008 and we have a good setup for just about any strut brand and spring size available. We have gone to great lengths to increase suspension travel with the unusually short 1 series strut assembly.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0