10-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #43
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
First, I am not a mechanic.

But I am an old guy who has messed with cars for the past 40 years. (this by way of qualifications)

A misfire should not weaken other components of the engine. A misfire means the plug did not ignite properly and the fuel charge did not burn. When this happens, the fuel charge is pushed out through the exhaust valve during the appropriate cycle. The other cylinders would have been working properly. No additional stresses would have occurred due to the lack of firing in this cylinder.

HOWEVER
You would have been pushing raw gas into your exhaust system. This can potentially harmful to your cat. converter. You might want to have them give you an extension of the warranty on your exhaust.

Good luck
Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense:thumbup:

My other concern which might not be worth much is why is the car having so many misfires in the first place? They replaced coils but do coils just go bad? Or can other things cause coils to go bad? Or can other factors besides a bad coil be the cause of these misfires?

I just have a hard time understanding why my car would misfire so many times yet others have not had the same issues. Could a bad high pressure fuel pump cause the misfire if not enough fuel was pumped into the cylinder to create combustion?

Maybe I am another with a bad fuel pump:iono:

Again, I am not that mechanically inclined so if I am way off base you will understand.

Thanks again for the support 1ers:w00t:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0