View Single Post
      01-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #12
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
The contact patch will be the exact same size if you are running a 225, 245 or 275, if used at the same pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Just agreeing with this fact in case anyone finds it hard to believe. The contact patch will change shape, but generally speaking be the same overall size in square inches. (Wider tire stretches it out, of course, but because the overall size stays the same that patch gets slightly shorter front - rear. Wider tires would be beneficial for sideways motions i.e. hard cornering, skinnier tires are better for gripping during acceleration & braking, i.e. winter).
Ehhhh, this is really only true in theory, but theory goes out the window in practice with differences in sidewall construction and tire design. Obviously a 225 track tire may have wider tread than a 255 all-season tire due to its profile. The narrower track tire may have an even larger contact because it flattens out more, but this is not always going to be true. Weight transfer under heavy braking, cornering, or acceleration will dynamically change the contact patch, which only amplifies differences in sidewall height and construction. Even in the same size and using the same pressure, two different tires can have different size contact patches. Thermal capacity is another reason to choose a wider tire. I completely understand what you're saying, but there's a lot more affecting the size of the contact patch than just the width of the tire.

Either Road & Track or Car and Driver did a really good article about 5 years ago on a BRZ riding on different size tires. There is definitely a sweet spot when it comes to track times as well as acceleration and braking and the widest tire is not always the best.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 01-03-2021 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0