08-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #33
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
My question is, has anyone been able to measure or quantify the performance gains of lighter wheels on a 1M? Perhaps there are handling advantages. Are there advantages in accelerating and braking?
It is difficult to tell in isolation and everything is going to be relative. In summary, changing the wheels is just a means to get the car to get to somewhere.

In terms of performance wise, I won't able to tell now since I also have the Brembo CCM-R Ceramics so I have lost 40kg in total of unsprung weight.

My recent change from Trofeo R to AD08R actually highlight one of the benefits of reducing unsprung - where a track tyre like Trofeo R didn't impact on the ride quality of the car and the suspension was able to soak up all the bumps very well.

I think the true performance gain would be from tuning the suspension and setup with the correct unsprung/tyre combination to give better lap times and comfort - reducing unsprung through a set of lighter wheels would be part of that process. Changing it in isolation would not give you a performance gain which is meaningful on day to day or track driving.
Appreciate 0