02-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburbs View Post
yeah i've browsed around, and it seems the n54 is pretty bulletproof, its just a few things around the engine that need to be taken care of or replaced.
i've been reading a lot about the walnut blasting thing recently too, is that a maintenance issue, as theres nothing like that with evos (is that because these cars are direct injection?)

i honestly didnt think there were any 135i around melb as I barely see them, and i dont really see any for sale, carsales only has a handful for sale (manual, n54).

yeah it'd be great to check some out, i was actually going to sus some out from carsales just to get a feel for the car and have a look etc. have someone checking out my car this week so we'll see how i go after that.

also do you guys rate the idrive (dash screen), is it just a gps? is it worth trying to get as a few on the market dont have it? is there any other options the 135i comes with thats a must or useful to have?

Thanks again guys!
Walnut blast is just maintenance due to being a direct injected car. You'll pick up a few KW after cleaning the valves.

People who don't have idrive always say its shit and not worth having.

I have idrive and would not want to buy a car without it. It is not just a nav system, it is a graphical interface for a lot of the car functions on the car. If your car is a daily driver then I think its definitely worth having. If you want idrive, get a car that already has it because retrofitting it costs an arm and a leg.

Sure the nav system sucks and I just use my phone for navigation. My gripe is mainly just inputting a destination is just a bit clunky as you enter in text one letter at a time. But it still is useful for just displaying a map while you're driving. Very handy for driving fast on mountain roads and knowing what kind of corner is coming up next.

Theres a lot of stuff you can do on the idrive like check the oil level, error warnings show up in plain text on the screen, various vehicle settings, graphical interface for the radio and phone etc.

Took me ages to find a 135i in the spec I wanted:

Alpine white
manual
Black interior
idrive

Mine even came with AP downpipes, Wagner intercooler and procede tune so I saved some money on mods I was going to buy anyway.