View Single Post
      06-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
bbnks2
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrGunMan View Post
Is deformation actually happening to people who regularly track their cars or is it rare enough that I should not be worried about it?

I'm not planning on rally crossing the car, but I'd like to be able to take any curb on track at speed without a worry.
Not a common thing by any means. Like others have stated, it probably has more to do, IN MOST CASES, with poor top hat mating surfaces. My coilovers came with integrated camber plates that maintain a large surface contact area with the strut tower. At one point, I placed 12mm nuts on coilover studs to act as spacers and gain ride height. That caused some deformation as the nuts pushed into the strut tower, but I can't see how this would happen with a flat mating surface...

I'd be more concerned about the rear struts pushing through their rubber mounts and into the trunk. I have 16k (1000lb) rear springs and haven't had an issue if that helps at all (Monroe rubber shock mounts)...
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, PC925 (23lb), UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack