Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixracer View Post
I have been tempted to get a 135 cluster and get it coded just for the temp gauge. Another thing that was temping was to add an oil cooler for extra heat displacement. After Mid Ohio with 80+ temp and high humidity and no limp mode issues I decided to sell my oil cooler set up.
I agree that an oil cooler is probably unnecessary, especially for the kind of driving that my car sees lately. Although one wonders why BMW put it on the high-output N52s in the first place - they're obviously concerned enough about cost to delete a temp gauge, they must've seen some benefit of providing the heat exchanger. Theoretically, in addition to dissipating heat in a hot engine, in a cold engine the warm coolant should bring the oil up to temp more quickly - of course, it's impossible to say how much more quickly without a temp gauge before and after.

At the end of the day, I did it mainly because I like to tinker, and I was going to have the oil filter housing removed and the coolant drained anyway. And, of course, having an OE oil cooler retrofit just sounds cool.