Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
I currently have a 2003 M5, and a 2013 135iS

Different Beasts altogether.
The 135iS is in DCT
The M5 6 spd Manual, the only way it was produced

M5 is wider, more stable feeling, heavier and doesn't handle quite like the 1 series, or even the 3 series.
I traded my 330ci in for the M5, and immediately thought the M5 handled more like a boat then the 3. The 5 handles great for a big Heavy car (4000lbs). But it's a Big Heavy Car.
But Power out the ying yang.
Really gets going once you hit 3rd.
Have had it up to 140, totally stable.

While I wouldn't call the 1 series "twitchy", compared to the 5, it's twitchy
Can kick the tail out easy on either one of them, but the 1 seems to break loose a little earlier.
I don't race them or anything, meaning just accelarating to get in traffic, you see the traction light come on

Seat much narrower in the 1, and can really wrap you in.
Prefer the 1 seat to the 5.
Interior on the 5 is better, full Nappa all the way around.
Like the old school looks of the M5 instrument cluster better.

Comparitively the M5 is seems to be much easier to work on, and no turbo.
The M5 forum has a bazillion DYIs, and I've done many of them.
M5 is VERY well built, and I have 140k now on mine, Many new parts.
Runs like a dream.

Touch call if I had to have one, would probably take the 5 cuz I can fix it.
But my back likes the 1 seat much better.

Either way, Nothing bad to say about the 5 , Unless you're going to bring it to the dealer form all repairs and maintenance. In which case, may want to start playing the Lottery. BMW charges an Arm and Leg for everything.
Beyond what you would imagine.
I'd mirror pretty much all of this, I went from an E39 M5 to a 1er.

Driving is a night and day difference as mentioned. Seats, agreed. The heated seats in the E39 are a bit warmer to add, haha. Driving around town and such, the N54(and I imagine N55), feel strikingly similar to the big V8, but handling is amazingly different. The 1 series feels like a go cart compared to the big sedan, even if it's a great handling car for its size as mentioned.

The S62 is an AMAZING motor as well. It pulls so strong all the way to redline, where as the N series motors kind of run out of breath above 6, and the throttle response is fantastic. Muffler delete and its one of the best sounding V8's there is.

Now, maintenance. Do your own work or you're going to be spending A LOT on the car. They're at the age where all the rubber is getting deteriorated, and every little thing may or may not start to break. I replaced literally everything in the front suspension on mine, and then started having to do the same on the rear.

The motors are a bit finnicky sometimes too, mine ran weird for the longest time while I had it, would misfire at high RPM very randomly when it was hot, power would be 100%-80% and wouldn't throw any codes and I replaced many parts trying to figure it out: ended up being the fuel pump I replaced on a whim, no indication that could have been it.

Parts cost: Everything is more expensive than a 135. Literally. Not astronomically, but I have priced out literally every part between the two I could think of out of curiosity, and every. single. part. for the E39 was more.

Granted, do some searching and buy online, you'll be fine. The most expensive part I spent on it was a rebuilt vanos board, and the only reason I had to do that was because I suck at electrical and fucked up mine trying to do the DIY fix. Found out my soldering was originally fine, I just crimped one of the wires putting it back anyways :|

Maintenance history. Get some or be prepared to lowball. Or a PPI. Maintenance history on these things is king.

Biggest issues to try and get history of:

Rod bearings replaced.
Vanos rebuilt
Timing chain.

These three will cost you the most to get done. Rod bearings, honestly, are hit or miss. My car had 169k on the originals. Vanos? Usually just makes noise, and the only thing that'll cause issue are the boards which you can repair. Timing chain issues are rare, but parts alone are 1k+.

Also, gas mileage sucks.

Do I regret anything owning one? Not at all.
Appreciate 0