Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthig11 View Post
Piggybacking this post....

My 2011 128i is in need of new tires and it's on the stock 205/50-17 squared from factory. How do I know how wide I can go? I'm seeing I can go staggered with 225 in the rear, but I see that it makes the handling a bit worse. I use the car as a daily and non runflat will be crucial bc of the ride quality.

I want to go wider than 205, so can I go maybe 215 or 225 all around? Would there be any modding to anything to make that happen? Any recommended tires? I know a good bit about cars but I haven't had to put tires on one yet so it's all new to me.
If you're keeping your current wheels and they are rated to take a 225 tire, that's what you want to do IMO. Handling will improve, understeer will decrease, better ride, better look. I've been through a couple of sets of square 225's (although on 18' wheels) and find they suit the power and weight of our cars very nicely. For tires, buy the best you can afford. This is not where you want to save money. Read Tire Rack reviews for the the class of tire you want. I'm very happy with my Michelin PS4S but there are lots of quality tires out there.
Appreciate 1