08-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #29
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I've yet to change my WP at 72K miles. Just had a few days of temps in the 90s and I've noticed my fan sounds really loud, or louder than I remember (and I have the upgraded fan that comes with the Power Kit Level II with the extra oil cooler). I get my exact water temp on my steering wheel readout and the temp has been low/normal.

I refused to change my WP pump until it fails and strands me on the side of the road. It's an electric part, so it doesn't wear out. Just as there are folks who have had their WP fail at 45/50K, others have hit 100K miles.

Hopefully this won't come back to bite me, but I have AAA Plus with 100 miles free towing and I'm never more than 100 miles away from a few good BMW indys that I will use for replacement.
Let me know how that works out for you!

75,500 mi, I got the yellow, then red & no power (2000 RPM Max, slowing down massively, Don't Rear End Me, Mr Semi!)
Was 104 miles to my shop. (Technically 89 miles, but 104 on-road according to Waze, from my location to Bavarian Motorsports in Milpitas. I told them I'd happily pay by the mile for the last 4. Even though they estimated something ridiculous like $20/mile for it.)
AAA Plus Member. Since 1982! BECAUSE of the "100 miles towing."
AAA Dispatch at 6:20pm - "We can't find a driver able to make that trip."
I was on the outskirts of Sacramento. The State Capitol! And needed to get back to the Bay Area - where there are tons of shops, and food is available 24 hours. Saw 5 empty (and 2 loaded) tow trucks go by in 2 hours.
At 3 hours sitting on the side of the road, I requested a tow 35 miles away. They still said "We'll try. It's out of our normal range of 15 miles."
2 hours LATER. Yes, 5 hours on side of road, 6:05 pm to 11:03 pm, on a beautiful summer Saturday night, a driver finally shows up for the 1/2 hr trip.
I had to call them every hour for updates - they usually didn't have one. They said after an "unusual" amount of time I could call my own commercial (non-AAA) company, and they would Consider reimbursement. That tow would have been $450. I asked what's an "unusual" amount of time and 3 different agents couldn't define it. 3rd try, I asked for a supervisor. 45 minutes of hold later (Cell phone down to 7%) the Driver arrived, but the supervisor hadn't picked up.
This morning (Monday) I called and got a supervisor. She said 2 hours is usually the limit of how long they expect you to sit there. And yet, there I was for 5, 2.5miles from nearest food. (If you're not at the car when driver arrives, they wait 5 minutes, then leave. Per policy. No courtesy call, no return later.)
And since I don't know any indy's up there, I had it brought to a dealership. So Pump and Thermostat will be $1800, instead of the $1354otd my indy shop quoted.
After speaking with AAA Dispatch Supervisor and Emergency Travel Benefits, and lodging a formal complaint, I THINK they're going to reimburse the rental car. But they still can't promise anything until after I submit receipts and 8 pages of forms.
I think I'll add the $500 overcharge to my reimbursement request.

Rant over.
I just need to drive the despised rental Camry 150 miles tomorrow night to get my baby back!
I hope my experience leads to better training and procedures so that doesn't happen to anyone. Ever again. But I'm not going to hold my breath...

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 08-07-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
jkoral1023.00