01-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The larger sensor is for high-beam assist (i.e., the feature that automatically changes the output of the headlights from high-to-low beam in the presence of oncoming traffic or as you approach taillights).

I do not know of any US-spec 1M with this feature, although I do plan a retrofit myself. At a minimum, this will require recoding. I have not determined whether additional wiring will be necessary.
I checked again in some BMW websites for different countries (hoping to have additional info or pictures) to clarify, I am not totally sure cause none of them clearly defines which exact sensor is for the high beam assist but all of them the photo they use for the high beam sensor includes the off center sensor and that sensor seems to be part of no other option I could detect. Can you clarify please where did you find the information that the big center sensor is the high beam assist and what is the off center one for? By the way, can it be both of them for this option, maybe there are two sensors operating for this function?

eeghie, I checked the rear view mirror with rain sensor photos and since the rain sensor always come together with auto headlights in all markets that I know, I assume the big sensor is not for auto head lights because the "rain sensor option" pictures are not with that big sensor, just with the blue one.
Appreciate 0