Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Source? It's hard to find reliable info on maintenance intervals...so much stuff is considered "lifetime" now, or else you're supposed to wait until the car tells you it wants something via CBS or throwing a code.

Anyway, I'm only about halfway to 90k, but I like to know what to expect.

By the way, did the pulley have a dust cap on it? On the W124 I just did, the dust cap was missing from the pulley and tensioner arm, but I sourced new dust caps when I replaced both parts. Just wondering if we have the benefit of the caps or not on the 1er. There was a ton of dust all over my engine bay when I got everything off to pull the valve cover recently.
Honestly as soon as I said that I realized I'm probably just quoting some other forum member who said that once upon a time. I think you're right in that BMW has no official spec on it (or anything to be honest lol.)

The Bentley manual states:

Inspect belt with engine off. If belt shows signs of wear, cracking, glazing, or missing sections, replace immediately. To reduce the chance of belt failure while driving, replace belt every four years.

And everyone in the DIY thread over at E90Post do theirs between 60-90k.

And yes the idler did have a dust cap but the tensioner does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Wow, thanks Desertman123, that's perfect. So yes, fan does not need to be removed. And, I've heard that some recommend replacing at 60K miles. And yes, if belt breaks it can do serious damage in the front of the engine.
My BMW dealer noted that my belt was "walking off the tensioner", something that I haven't had a look at yet but this job is so easy & inexpensive, I should do it soon.
My friend did his car because he was having a noise coming from front of engine. The noise was still there after he put in the new parts. Looks like noise is coming from alternator. Alternator actually sometimes makes a small knock noise. I told him to wait a little while longer-see if noise gets worse.
Seems to be a really common thing, but I don't know if the belt is actually walking off, or if it just sits like that, cuz in the thread I linked a few people mentioned the belt looked like it was hanging off the tensioner pulley like 1/4". I've seen a handful of people mention bent/broken tensioner bolts.

Last edited by desertman123; 07-21-2017 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0