View Single Post
      09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #62
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

There is no such thing as 'tagging' a car.

Dealers can and do put notes on your file. Anything from the depth of the tread on your tires to anything else that is relevant. If the guy working on your car finds it 'relevant' that you have an aftermarket intake - it will be there for anyone to see.

HOWEVER, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is whether the modifications you make to your car can somehow create a problem that would otherwise be a warrantable repair. If the dealer can demonstrate that your modifications are the source of the problem, they may under the MMA act decline to fix the problem under warranty.

A manufacturer cannot, by Federal Law, not comply with the warranty because there are aftermarket parts on the car and those parts cannot be demonstrated to be the cause of the problem. If you take the dealer to court, and win, you will not only get reimbursed (because you'll probably pay to get your car running), but your attorneys fees as well.

I've never pulled my mods out of my car when I go in for service. I've had my clutch replaced, my A/C compressor fixed, 3 oil changes and 3 tires replaced. None of the problems were related to my modifications and nothing was brought to my attention regarding my mods (FMIC, Dual Cones, Oil Catch Can). Worst I've gotten was a friendly 'slap'/comment about being a bit more gentle on my clutch - but fixed with no issues.

Further, somebody above posted something about BMWs having 'limited' warranties. That is incorrect. All manufacturers provide 'full' warranties for their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
Just read through this entire thread. Very interesting info and it has given me a whole new aspect on MM and modding cars still under warranty.

The reason I am bring this thread back is because I am wondering what happens if you show up to a dealer with say the following mods: lowering springs, air filter, intake pipe, and aftermarket wheels (I will leave tune seperate for now).....You brought the car to the dealer not because you need a repair, in fact the car is running better than ever. You are simply bringing it in to have the oil changed and/or brake pads replaced.

Does/can the dealer "tag" you car and/or make a notation in the computer that this car has the following mods etc....then say later down the road if the car was reverted back to stock and you had an issue in one of the areas you had a mod they could deny warranty?

If this is the case do BMW dealers have the ability to "tag" the car in a broader sense besides just at that specific dealer...ie...in "BMW's main" computer so that any time any dealer or BMW pulls up your vin it would show that the car was modded at some point in time?

Now after the above, let's throw a tune into the mix (above items plus tune)....how would that affect the situation.

Again, you are simply bringing the car in for routine stuff such as brake pads, oil changes, etc....nothing is damaged.

Thanks in advance for input!
Appreciate 0