View Single Post
      09-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #63
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Thanks for the reply. Would these "notations" be something that would only be available at that particular dealer or is that something that would carry with the car regardless of the dealer?

Lets take it one step further. Say you have a leased vehicle and you do the same/similar mods to it. Nothing goes wrong at all and the car only goes into the dealer for routine stuff. Lease is ending so you pull your items off (wheels, etc..) and revert the car back to stock. A year later something goes wrong in one of those areas. What can/would happen then?

Thanks again.

BTW michifan...do you have a tune on your car? Would you say it is something to worry about if taking your car for routine service with a tune installed...again even if there is nothing wrong with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
There is no such thing as 'tagging' a car.

Dealers can and do put notes on your file. Anything from the depth of the tread on your tires to anything else that is relevant. If the guy working on your car finds it 'relevant' that you have an aftermarket intake - it will be there for anyone to see.

HOWEVER, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is whether the modifications you make to your car can somehow create a problem that would otherwise be a warrantable repair. If the dealer can demonstrate that your modifications are the source of the problem, they may under the MMA act decline to fix the problem under warranty.

A manufacturer cannot, by Federal Law, not comply with the warranty because there are aftermarket parts on the car and those parts cannot be demonstrated to be the cause of the problem. If you take the dealer to court, and win, you will not only get reimbursed (because you'll probably pay to get your car running), but your attorneys fees as well.

I've never pulled my mods out of my car when I go in for service. I've had my clutch replaced, my A/C compressor fixed, 3 oil changes and 3 tires replaced. None of the problems were related to my modifications and nothing was brought to my attention regarding my mods (FMIC, Dual Cones, Oil Catch Can). Worst I've gotten was a friendly 'slap'/comment about being a bit more gentle on my clutch - but fixed with no issues.

Further, somebody above posted something about BMWs having 'limited' warranties. That is incorrect. All manufacturers provide 'full' warranties for their vehicles.