View Single Post
      05-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you have the time and are coming from the north you might want to consider driving the Blue Ridge Parkway from Virginia until you get maybe 50 miles away. It isn't much of a driving challenge but is more fun than the interstate. There are a huge number of scenic overlooks where you can stop for pictures. It takes time, however, because the speed limit is 45mph or less. I didn't see tons of police but there were some. There are also motorhomes and other slow traffic - but not a lot.

My only drive on the dragon was labor day in 2009. My son and I enjoyed it but the Harleys were out in force and are EXTREMELY SLOW. Worse than family sedans. One tried to go a little faster and promptly went off the road (not a good thing to do on the dragon). Coming back we had it wide open for a bit (road, not car) and then followed a sport bike. He was moving only a little slower than I wanted to but moved over when he had a chance (unlike the dog slow harleys). It was fun. I got a few pictures from the commercial photographers in the woods too. I think they were $6 each. The picture at the left is one of them, reduced.

That whole area of NC has nice roads for a drive. Here's a map:

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BestRoads09.pdf (68.8 KB, 160 views)