View Single Post
      09-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #40
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Wagner EVO 1 Performance intercooler

This is a great intercooler, not new as it came with the car when I bought it. I would happily pay the price premium again for this thing. I already had the undertray off and thought I'd remove it to get some pics

A lot of intercoolers advertise bolt on fitment. I can tell you this is a load of crap. This is one of the very few intercoolers that will bolt into the stock location without modifying or cutting anything. Uses the stock oring couplers which are idiot proof and I have found very reliable.

Other intercoolers mostly just have silicone couplers which are cheaper to make but a pain to fit. They require the 1 time use clamps to be cut off on the stock outlets and there is very little space to get a dremel in there. Also a massive pain to do up the clamps with no space to get a wrench in there. To get the lower charge pipe off is extremely difficult on an Auto transmission as there is a heat exchanger bolted to the fan, which prevents the pipe from being removed easily. The radiator fan has to be removed for access.

This intercooler performs well, no heatsoak dyno days (actually saw a 7" vrsf heatsoak on the Nizpro dyno day). Easiest to fit and highly recommended. Yes, its a little bit more expensive than VRSF but its a lot easier to fit so you'll spend a lot less on labour.

Heres a list of intercoolers I have fitted to various cars:

Wagner EVO 1 performance - Dead easy, easy removal for servicing (radiator drain requires intercooler removal for access).

ATM/Helix - Bolts on with no radiator support cutting, silicone couplers (clamps need to be cutoff, radiator fan removed). Great quality core
VRSF 5" stepped - same as above, core isn't as good as the some of the other brands
VRSF 7" - Same as 5" + bumper removal, a lot of cutting to the radiator support, not as much frontal area as it is not stepped
ER - Bolts in with a small lip of the radiator support cut, silicone couplers (decent ones). Polished, so all the couplers slip on pretty easy. Great quality product.
Wagner EVO 2 competition (fitted 1M) - Silicone couplers, small amount of cutting to rubber air deflector. I made custom brackets to sit the intercooler further back. Otherwise it would have required a ton of cutting of the radiator support to fit, similar to VRSF7" with bumper removal etc. Quality product but a massive pain to fit
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 09-22-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
plazski41.50
ch4ch6.50