View Single Post
      01-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #57
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
How does that spring rate feel in the rear? Everyone goes with these ridiculously stiff front springs and a spongy rear spring. Makes no sense to be at 2.5hz up front (with a big 28mm sway bar on top of this) and 1.5hz in the rear. You have some decent tread all around, so I am interested in hearing your feedback on how you like the more even F:R ratio. Car should be more neutral so long as you're light with your right foot (power oversteer)...

I just got my YCW coilovers with that came with 6k/12k and the front just feels stupidly stiff compared to the rear. I am also ready to pull my 27mm front bar out because I feel like the car pushes/understeers on entry now. I really wanted 6k/18k, but they weren't doing "race" setups for round 2 testing... 18k would've given me 1000lb/in out back and a more even 2hz F:R spring frequency.
I wish I had a definitive answer to your whole post. I'm still trying to figure things out...

With the 672lbs rear, the car is very very planted mid corner and corner exit (understeer... and it drives me nuts). I can get it to oversteer on entry if I'm very aggressive with the trail braking but I don't like this driving style. BTW, I have the stock front swaybar and dont' plan on changing it just yet.

This topic has been discussed quite heavily by Orb and fe1rx (check out their threads). Orb eventually settled on 1008lbs out back while fe1rx went to 800lbs. Front spring rates were similar to my setup.

I did further research on this matter and looked at E46 race cars and owners recommend a 200lbs split front/rear no matter what. i.e. 600F/800R, 700F/900R and so forth. Motion ratios are similar, if not identical to our suspension as well which means the theory on wheel rates/frequencies is taken with a grain of salt.

Other sites I have looked into suggest a very stiff front spring because McPherson suspensions work best when they don't work at all given their bad camber gain characteristics. By not working at all, I mean no body roll (stiffly sprung). This helps support the E46 race car spring rates I've seen.

I had some back and forth private messaging with Harold at HP Autosport and he flat out said he doesn't recommend going higher than 800lbs in the rear despite the math. Maybe he doesn't want to recommend something that may end up with me damaging the car? At any rate, I heeded his advice and went with 784lbs swifts out back for 2017 to take things incrementally instead of effing up the chassis dynamics and having to backtrack.

TL;DR. I'm at 392F/784R with an itch to also go stiffer at the front given the E46 guys and their setups.

Last edited by xBlueStreakx; 01-03-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0