View Single Post
      08-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

To do it properly, you should drop the pan and get all the fluid out. That said, I had a partial service done around 80k miles. Had the fluid drained and replaced the side filter in the trans. Getting to the side filter still required the trans to be dropped a bit for clearance. The other filter is only accessible by dropping the pan. My mechanic mentioned he didn't see any leaks from my trans and I didn't note anything either when I was under the car doing an oil change. So that's why I opted not to drop the pan and tempt fate.

I don't remember how much fluid my mechanic needed to fill the trans back up. I think it was about 4 quarts or so. But also keep in mind, you'll need to have the car perfectly level and have a scan tool monitoring the trans temperature. The only way to get the trans fluid to the proper level is when the trans temp reaches a certain range. For these two reasons, I opted to pay someone to do it.

Even though the DCT doesn't have a torque converter, I can't help but think there is some significant amount of fluid in the clutch pack area since the trans uses a wet clutch setup.
Appreciate 0