View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
MJockey
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
NO. I wouldn't use EBC anything. If you are in a Miata then perhaps, fine.
But not in a medium to heavy car. Just don't waste your time or money.

The stock pads are very much up to the task of track duty, for beginner to intermediate level track drivers. A stock type replacement pad that is a little more aggressive is the Performance Friction Z-rated pad. Perhaps the Hawk HPS fits here.. I have not used it.

As others have mentioned, the Ferodo DS2500 is a good pad for the intermediate level track driver that doesn't want to go full race pad and doesnt want to change from street pads for the track. The Hawk HP+ is also a decent combo pad as well. This driver typically will be running street tires or max performance tires like the Hankook RS-3, BFG Rival, Advan AD-08, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec and may also be an autocrosser. Keep in mind that you will likely get some squeal from these pads on the street. Braking in shorter distance , and *harder*, on the street will help save your ears and keep those odd looks from other drivers to a minimum..

Advanced level drivers on full race tires will eventually go with true race pads like the PFC 08 or 11, Hawk HT-10 or DTC, Ferodo DS3000 etc. Those in truly hot climates (Texas, Arizona, California, Australia) can run these pads on the street (of course not during " winter") at the risk of worn out ear drums due to impersonating a dump truck at every corner. Braking performance on track of course will be phenomenal.

My absolute personal favorite pad is the PFC. In my opinion they provide 85-90 percent of the initial bite of a Hawk Pad with better torque and modulation throughout the pedal range. Hawk pad lovers will forever be addicted to Hawk's killer initial clamp down force, so Stay with hawk if that is you o "King of the late brakers... " While I do like the HT-10s, I prefer a pad that gives me even * more* braking torque as I need it when I need to *really* squeeze on the binders at the end of a braking zone, so the PFC pads are my favorite. I am curious about the Endless pads the Aussies have access to but nothing else compares to PFC 01, and 08 in my book.
As a 11 year track day veteran, I agree almost 100% with this post.

Many years ago I put a set on EBC yellows on my wife's Eagle Talon for her first track day. They didn't last the weekend. I had to go back to a stock pads just so she could finish the weekend. Hawk HPS are a great street pad but they are not intended to be used on the track. If this is your first track day ever, then you should be ok with stock pads. After that I would recommend one of the dual purpose pads that M3 Adjuster mentions above.
Appreciate 0