10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #13
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
There no hard numbers but I know equal number of people that got them at MSRP and over MSRP. My guesstimate being there in 2011 is about 3-5k over MSRP was common. Some might have paid 7-10k but don't know anyone over 5k myself.
This seems right to me. I think there were three basic ways to get a 1M allocation in the United States back in the day:

1. Get on a waiting list at a BMW Center when the car was still a rumor
2. Pay over MSRP
3. Call a ton of dealers and get incredibly lucky to find an available allocation

I lucked out with #3. I called BMW Centers all over the country and basically had the same conversation, which ended with the dealer telling me they already had a waiting list, but they'd add me to it and let me know -- and my saying, "thank you, I would really appreciate that."

Then one day I got a call out of the blue from one of the dealers I had contacted -- BMW of Peabody near Boston. They said, "you're not going to believe this, but we have an allocation and you're next on the list. Do you want it?" I asked if they would sell it at MSRP and they said yes. Then I asked if there were any way I could do European Delivery and purchase the car at European Delivery MSRP. The guy put me on hold for a minute and came back and said yes. I was ecstatic. Alex Dytko handled the European Delivery and we've stayed in touch. I feel like I won the lottery.

There was an "available allocations" thread on here back then that was crazy (it reached 77 pages in 4 months). Someone would post that they just gave up an allocation (some people were on multiple lists and would get additional allocations after they already had a confirmed production number from another dealer) or heard about an allocation being available at "x" dealer and by the time I called the dealer after work, they would say they'd already had several calls about it. And then there were the posts by people saying they're pretty sure BMW just released a bunch of new allocations to all dealers(!) and it was a confused feeding frenzy. I'm sure the client advisors hated it because I and probably everyone else would call the dealers we were on the list at and ask if they got any new allocations because "I read on the forum..." I would sit at work refreshing the thread.

The "available allocations" thread disappeared for a while, but I just found it. Don't add to it. It's a perfect time capsule.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568787

It's a miracle I didn't lose my job back then because, for a few weeks, I probably spent half my time at work on 1Addicts trying to find an allocation, reading about people's delivery experiences, and eventually tracking my 1M on the Elektra with other forum members whose 1Ms were also on the same ship.
Appreciate 5
nachob2314.00
GimmeanM1448.50
Tornado1M1211.00
ayao641.50
dtla1827.50