12-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
Good discussion. The reason I brought up the thread is in case there were things like lighter bumpers or things like that they may have put on the 1M that may be able to be swapped onto a 135i.

e46s and e46 M3s came with aluminum and carbon fiber bumpers. I saved over 7 lbs. putting an e60 5 series front bumper as the rear bumper on the M4.

I believe the standard equip. for the 135i would have probably also been the automatic trans. where the 1M only came in manual.
Scott, I know the first replies threw you off course, I hope you have been able to see now that they were in fact incorrect. There are several small changes in the base 1M that fact lower the weight. I don't believe the bumpers are any lighter on 1M than standard 135. In fact, they are wider and possibly few ounces more. I think it you were trying to save weight on your 135i, I would start with the easy things first. Get lighter wheels and aluminum hat rotors like BMW performance or some other brand. Cross drilled if possible for additional weight savings. You can take off the hood insulation. The 1M has none and it seems to do fine. The cars are 6 years old and don't see any heat damage to the paint. Next I would consider getting the manual seats or something even lighter. The suspension can be a lot of work but there are some aluminum M parts that might come over. If it's time to replace shocks and struts, opt for aluminum housing units like the 1M. Coilovers are usually steel because of the perch thread but Bilstein and maybe Sachs make aluminum housing replacements. The weight savings is not huge, but if you are already replacing them, it's also better as the aluminum housing also dissipates heat more evenly and more efficiently. As shocks get hot, performance drops. Finally anti-roll bars are heavy. You might find hollow ones that weight a lot less. I think Dinan used to make some.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0