05-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #31
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
You're right, in Europe, PS Cup 2 is the new reference. Some talked me about the Direzza 03G which are some kind of extreme semi-slick tires too ...

In addition, I saw the design of the new R888R, they seems to be much more aggressive than the R888. They are closer to a slick tire. Really interested in them ! In addition, they are available here in France in 225/40/18 ...
Fidiman - How long have you been tracking or auto-crossing your car? How much Wheel horsepower and torque are you making? How often do you track your car?

Im asking to determine whether rcomp tires are really for you. Dont take this the wrong way. Im an instructor at two local clubs, and develop 440 ft-lbs at the wheels. Im quite satisfied with the Extreme Performance category tires. I drive my car hard, and my tires are at the cord after 8-9 months. The Dunlop Direzza ZII have been excellent, and the new Direzza ZII Star Specs (probably the RE71R's too) are simply exceptional on the track.

Are you willing to accept r-comps that will last half as long, will not be very good in the rain, and will break traction with very little warning, which may throw your car in an uncontrollable spin?

Dont want to come through as harsh - just some food for thought. I went through the same cycle as you did, and some experienced members on this board talked some sense into me, before making the mistake of going down the r-comp path. Maybe you can afford spending on a couple more sets of tires per year, or raising the risks of damaging your car. Not the case for me so I would rather play it safe ...

To conclude, there are three types of slick that I know off: DOT legal r-comp tires can be used on the street (have minimal grooves for water evacuation such as Toyo R-888, Nitto NT01, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Yoko AO48, etc), dry r-comp tires (slicks such as Hoosier A6 or R6, that cannot be used on the street), wet r-comps (such as RADIAL WET H2O slicks that cannot be used on the street).

Take care "mon ami Français" !
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 05-19-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00