Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Fidiman - How long have you been tracking or auto-crossing your car? How much Wheel horsepower and torque are you making? How often do you track your car?

I have a little experience in that, like more or less one year and a half. I plan to track the car more and more. I'm trying to find the correct tires to go in a few weeks. I think I will try to track my car once every one or two month.

Actually I have 225hp and 346lb-ft. I'm planing to increase the power and the torque.

Im asking to determine whether rcomp tires are really for you. Dont take this the wrong way. Im an instructor at two local clubs, and develop 440 ft-lbs at the wheels. Im quite satisfied with the Extreme Performance category tires. I drive my car hard, and my tires are at the cord after 8-9 months. The Dunlop Direzza ZII have been excellent, and the new Direzza ZII Star Specs (probably the RE71R's too) are simply exceptional on the track.

Are you willing to accept r-comps that will last half as long, will not be very good in the rain, and will break traction with very little warning, which may throw your car in an uncontrollable spin?

If they won't be good under the rain, I don't care. I won't track my car in these conditions. For the wear of the tire, it's a very important point too. What do you mean by very little warning ?

Dont want to come thought as harsh - just some food for thought. I went through the same cycle as you did, and some experienced members on this board talked some sense into me, before making the mistake of going down the r-comp path. Maybe you can afford spending on a couple more sets of tires per year, or raising the risks of damaging your car. Not the case for me so I would rather play it safe ...

To conclude, there are three types of slick that I know off: DOT legal r-comp tires can be used on the street (have minimal grooves for water evacuation such as Toyo R-888, Nitto NT01, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Yoko AO48, etc), dry r-comp tires (slicks such as Hoosier A6 or R6, that cannot be used on the street), wet r-comps (softer slicks with grooves that cannot be used on the street).

I saw these Hoosier ... They are quite impressive and are like slick tires ! I think I won't put that on my car, that's too extreme unfortunately ...

Take care "mon ami Français" !

Take care too, it's still a pleasure to speak with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'm going through the data now. I peaked at 1.4Gs in a turn with street tires.

1.18 Gs sustained

So yea.
Quite impressive if the RE-71R can handle that amount of grip ! The 1.18G are with which tires ?
Appreciate 0