View Single Post
      04-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #273
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Last year, I installed a used set of front Alcon brakes, but with the track day and high speed logging runs, the pads were finished quite quickly and the discs were very worn.

Being a 2 piece disc I can simply replace the disc rings, although they cost around $800 each locally. I figured out the specification of my existing discs:

355mm diameter
32mm thickness
215.9 mounting PCD
12 holes, 6mm diameter

These Alcon discs were actually a standard AP racing disc size, so many alternative replacements exist. I found that DBA make a number of discs in this size, and was suprised to find the discs for sale on ebay for only $150 shipped for the pair! I then used a 10% ebay coupon code to get the price down even more. Part number was the DBA 2750 and I elected to go for the blank rotors with no grooves. This is primarily a street driven car and I feel that the grooves tend to be noisier and prefer the smoother operation of a blank disc for street use. Otherwise DBA make a few different patterns if you want grooves. Another alternative is to go on Aliexpress, and pick up a set of Alcon or AP racing replica discs, which have the identical style grooves in the rings.

DBA 2750 on ebay (disregard the picture, it is a generic one):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252937742860

Example of Alcon fake disc:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jeki...AbTest=ae803_4

The pads that came with the calipers are Project Mu club racer pads, which I am very happy with the feel. The only downside I can see is that they are quite abrasive on the discs and are quite expensive.

The alternative is the Ferodo DS2500 which is also available for this caliper (and I am still running DS2500 rears). I have used the DS2500 for a few years and the performance is great, but the Project Mus give a lot better progressive pedal feel. I decided to stick with the Project Mu pads, which I purchased from their Australian website. Was over a month wait for the pads, so I only had around 1mm of pad left by the time they arrived!

I disassembled the bells off the old discs, and thankfully everything fit correctly and was compatible. I cleaned every single clip and fastener which took hours, if you are able to source the hardware brand new, would highly recommended doing that to save a lot of time. Overall a very time consuming process cleaning and assembling the disc hardware.

The car that these brakes came off had wheels that were overtightened, which resulted in uneven wear on the discs and would cause vibration after a hard stop. Will hopefully not experience that anymore, first drives I am bedding in the brakes slowly, so have not done any big stops yet. So far, feels great with no vibrations
Attached Images