10-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #22
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
As OnerDriver pointed out, it is a SULEV vehicle, therefore it has a 150k mile warranty on emissions equipment, it does already have the 3-Stage intake manifold, which is a huge plus for daily drivability (low end torque and mid-range power), it is a lower compression engine (pistons are different), but, it does carry around a bit of extra emissions equipment, and is a bit harder to be tuned well, rowsdower.

It would be easier to boost
I wouldn't doubt he might try to boost it in the future lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
If your friend is in a state that originally sold SULEV cars, there are some major warranty perks. Anything emissions related, plus stuff you wouldn’t think like oil pan and valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, maybe even coils, are covered for a crazy long time and mileage. Moving to a non-SULEV state, dealers no longer warranty those parts so it is location dependent.

The 3-stage intake, secondary air injection system, and different pistons are the only N51-specific hardware that come to mind. Oh and the SULEV sticker under the hood!

And yeah... skip the tunes...
That's interesting, and super cool to know about the emissions benefits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Why are you guys saying skip the tune?

What am I missing?

N51 Upgrade Path? https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399620
Appreciate that link, some good information in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I installed AA headers and a BPC tune about a year ago and have had problems with idling ever since. The car has more power and sounds great but is very frustrating to drive on the street. I should really say skip the headers. A tune only might be fine but not really worth the money without headers in my opinion.
desertman123 I know you have the same headers, have you had idle issues? Curious if it's isolated to the headers, tune, or the combination of both. I don't know that he'd want straight pipes 24/7 but I think headers, tune, and a cutout would be great assuming no issues.

Also rowsdower are you 6mt or auto? Wondering if it could be trans related?