View Single Post
      08-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #105
Ericsson.FFS
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 135i, E82, A/T

Thumbs up! +additional info

First of all, thank you Dackelone for sharing this with the rest of us! One must love the fact that BMW decided to make this so surprisingly easy and convinient, but still, without someone "putting it out there" it would be of no use to all of us DIY'ers!

Now, second of all, for those of you who like my self experienced problems resetting the brake pad service, front and rear, with the sudden appearance of the RED "car on lift", dong-making service announcement.... have faith, unless your brake wear sensor actually is worn out, it most likely can be fixed without the need for you to go to the dealer.

In my case I recently replaced disc rotors and pads, front and back, and since I did this in advance of the brake wear signal turning up, the sensors were both fine and did not need to be replaced, so I reused them both.
For that time beeing I didn't know how to reset the service indication in the BC, but after finding it out from reading this topic I tried it out, which resulted in "blank" (-----) kms in the BC, and a new born "car on lift"-issue.

Since the car reads the resistance (ohm) from within the brake pad wear sensor it awaits the input of a new value that differs from the old/present one. As mentioned, both my sensors were completely fine so to fool the car I therefore unplugged the front sensor and replaced the male end connector (sensor side) with one very simple piece of steel wire, inserted into the female connector (car side), closing the circuit, much like the "old school" brake wear sensor-delete-method...

I then went back into the car and again performed the BC-reset, now successfully, since the car apparently reckons it has a brand new sensor installed! Sucker....
Note: Only by doing this up front fixed both the front and rear issues!

After doing this, simply turn the ignition off, remove the steel wire acting as a bridge and reconnect the original wear sensor.

Problem most likely solved - brake service data refreshed and annoying red "Car on lift" long gone!

Hopefully BMW won't suffer too bad financially, missing out on some of the easiest money they probably can get, with these built in functions from hell..!
Appreciate 2