View Single Post
      05-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #41
Dieselboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Impressive thread, even more impressive build, most impressive technical chops! I'm just poking my nose under the E82 tent and getting a feel for things. This is truly inspiring.

A question if I may: why stay with the stock diff? My understanding is that 128s in the US are all open diffs, other than perhaps the 1M.
Thanks! The 135i is a challenging platform, but it has a cult following for a reason. If you're not one that can/will wrench on the car, or if you're hung up on the things that BMW got wrong (Rubber bushes, open diff, thermal issues, water pumps, etc..) then I wouldn't recommend the E8X. I was shopping for a 997 Turbo last year and decided that if I dump $20-$25k into the 135i it will be a monster, plus I love a challenging project. Although, financially, the Turbo would have been a muuuch better decision since their values are going through the roof.

Open diffs are really just a cost savings measure from OEM. I'm actually in the LSD Group Buy so I'll be upgrading to the M factory Helical Differential.

Instagram: ///TheAxisGarage

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder.

Last edited by Dieselboy; 05-21-2021 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00