07-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #30
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
An MX5 is lighter and probably stiffer than the flexy E88. It was designed as a roadster first and foremost.
No one modifies XR8 utes except tradies that need the primary functional purpose a ute offers and are fed the koolaid by that stupid support series for V8SC. Thank fuck it's defunct.
E88 is just as much as a boat.

Is this your first car? You seem to have a huge emotional attachment to it. Only you will get it. Or it's a Sunshine Coast thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
oh that's not nice

yes I am emotionally invested in a convertible at this stage, it helps that we get about 300 days of "roof off" weather a year. I'm also stuck with four seats because I have 2 kids in primary school.

My commitment to this car is largely financial. If I part it out, fix it up and put it on the market I'm likely to net about $20k for what I'm holding. But then what do I buy?

Apart from swapping over to an E46 M3 for $25 -$30k with its own bunch of issues, The cheapest E93 M3 on the market goes for $45k ..

Thats a full $25k out of pocket to go to a stock E93 M3.

(Then in no time flat I'll be trying to spend an extra $12k to give it a Harrop, and probably $2-4k of repairs for all typical BMW shit that breaks the second you start tuning)

Alternatively, another $15k on the current car would give it M3 control arms, Bilstein shocks (or full coilovers), 500whp twin scroll single turbo - in addition to all the mods below.

I'd say that would be more fun to drive than a stock E93 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
I had a convertible once. When you start loosing your hair you quickly sell for a coupe
As soon as I'm out of the "school run" stage of my life it'll be replaced by a proper sports car - one with 2 seats.
Appreciate 0