03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
WOW!!!! that is a BIIIIG reversal for them. I had also spoken to the Safety Officer here where I work and he also told me about the oil thing......AND, about a report that BMW had made statements that the E10 fuel can cause damage to some of their Aluminum based engines.

That is scary because if more car manufacturers come out and say that their cars cannot support the fuel based on a model year around 2007-2008 and above, there will really be a big stink.

Looks like somone from BMW was miss quoted by the German TV press. BMW put out a new statement today - reaserting its position that E10 is safe to use in thier (2000 M.Y. & later) cars.

I personally will not use it. But here is todays press release. I also attached the rpess release and also a English version of the LIST of BW cars that CAN NOT use E10.

Dackel

from BMW AG's press website...

BMW backs the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe.
  • Press Release

BMW supports the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe. This is also in accordance with the decision made following the legislative procedure involving BMW and the motor industry.
There have been no changes to the technical assessments which were made for Europe and Germany at the time.
The statements made by Mr Brüner on the matter of E10 use in BMW vehicles expressly did not refer to countries with fuel standards such as those applicable in the EU, but to countries with clearly inferior fuel grades.
In the light of current developments, this was confirmed tonight by Dr Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management BMW AG, Development.
“Contrary to current media reports which state otherwise, we affirm our declaration that E10 fuels can be safely used in all BMW passenger car models from any production year.
A small number of older BMW vehicles require Super Plus RON 98 to reduce knock. Irrespective of ethanol content, these vehicles are therefore not suited for Super fuel. The relevant list of these vehicles was already published by the ADAC on March 1st this year.
All oil-change intervals as prescribed by us remain unchanged, irrespective of the use of E10 fuel.”
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_backs_the_introduction_of_Super_E10_fuel_in_Germany_EN.pdf (80.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_Group_statement_E10_E.pdf (38.0 KB, 187 views)
Appreciate 0