View Single Post
      10-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #28
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Brake fluid is ok to lubricate the seal but doesn't do a good job lubricating the piston outboard of the seal, which is where galling between the piston and the caliper occurs. I use Permatex Ceramic Brake Lube in this area. This lube is compatible with brake fluid and it contains solid lubricant particles that won't get cooked or squeezed out like conventional brake greases will.

I regrease the front pistons annually along with a dust boot change so I can see how it is working. The "greasyness" gets cooked out of the lubricant, but the solids that are left behind still lubricate the piston.

That and a couple of other related hints are shown toward the end of this post:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=37
Alright, I was hoping for a full rebuild but funds are getting tight. I have a track weekend coming up and was thinking of just replacing the dust boots on the stock pistons with RB dust boots. So my question is can this be done without removing the piston entirely?

I have melted my stock dust boots but im fairly confident the pistons arent chipped or cracked, and I have solid braking performance, so maybe the full rebuild including new seals is overkill at the moment?

I was concerned something might damage the seal if the dust boots are left in current condition... Is this valid?

With only one more track weekend before the new year I'd prefer to defer the 600+ expense until after Christmas...

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0