View Single Post
      06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Joying 8" Single DIN Headunit Android 8.0 and Backup Camera

I installed a Joying 8" single DIN headunit from https://www.joyingauto.com/ (my exact headunit is no longer available).

My car is a 2012 135i Coupe with a factory analog amp in the trunk (not Harman Kardon), Park Distance Control, and no iDrive.

Cost:
$300 Headunit
$129 PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 Smart Harness, Best Kits BKBMW3 Dash Kit, Best Kits BAA22 Antenna Adapter
$34 Weivision Trunk Handle Backup Camera 700TVL Resolution
= Total around $500 with some miscellaneous supplies

Rating:
4 stars. Nice upgrade with loads of features and a backup camera, but some quirks and lousy support.

Features:
- Single DIN so it doesn't require cutting behind the dash like double DIN units do. Double DINs are also quite low depending on if the climate controls are relocated above or below the screen.

- Detachable screen with adjustable mounting points so it fits perfectly under the air vents and above the climate controls. Units with a flip out screen like the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX would cover the air vents.

- Supposed to support Apple CarPlay, but I don't have an iPhone to test it, and it supports Android Auto through an app called Z-Link. It actually just runs Android Auto standalone on your phone then mirrors it on the headunit display, which works ok but sometimes it causes my phone to spontaneously reboot so I'm not sure what's going on.

- So I sideloaded Android Auto to run standalone on the headunit and it works for the most part, but has some quirks like 'Ok Google' doesn't take navigation commands directly. It says "I'm sorry, I can't display search results in the car". You have to tap "Set Destination" first, then the microphone icon and say your destination. Also standalone Android Auto won't be linked to your phone for calls or text messages.

- I have also tried Headunit Reloaded Emulator to run Android Auto and it works over Wi-Fi.

- I use an app called Carspot WiFi to automatically start a Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone whenever the headunit connects to my phone with Bluetooth.

Apps:
- I got an ELM327 Mini OBD II Bluetooth adapter to read real time data through the Torque app.

- Waze can be run directly on the headunit or through Android Auto.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 05-19-2019 at 02:38 PM..