04-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #49
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
Thanks Tom! Yes, I am thinking of SP... I like to feel the road! Plus I want my sports seats! In any case, if wearing the back tires faster is the only problem, it's all good!

I hope I won't start getting more flats tho, our roads are a definite mess... plus I go to Baltimore often and it's almost worse, if there is such a thing...
Actually the rear tire wear seems to be a function of rear wheel drive (not the SP) and the near 50/50 weight distribution found on BMWs. Lots of folks are so used to front wheel drive, they take tire rotation and higher front tire wear for granted. In the past, BMW has not recommended tire rotation - unless it's done every 3~5,000 miles or so. Not having staggered wheels (until my 128i cabrio arrives) I've generally rotated tires once, halfway through their life.

I don't see you getting more flats - but be aware that 17" and larger wheels are more prone to road damage. I had 3 of the 4 wheels on my '99 sedan bent within 2 years commuting through Takoma Park & northeast on New Hampshire Ave. - although the wheels are still usable. And my wife replaces at least one wheel every other year on her Saab, due to our wonderful roads!

And in Baltimore - you're on your own!
Tom
Appreciate 0