08-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #169
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Also, ediff is not just the computer applying braking force to the slipping wheel. It's an integrated system that's designed to help keep the vehicle moving in the intended direction or the way you have the steering wheel pointed.

For example, if dsc is completely off, you can slide your car in a turn without the system stepping in to save you if your not applying throttle. However, If you apply throttle in a turn too fast and the car senses there will be traction loss, the system decides which axle power needs to be adjusted. Braking force from the brakes may be applied or engine braking via dme to reduce speed enough to gain traction. This logic goes a step further than just transferring all the power and torque to the other rear wheel that has traction. The idea is to keep both wheels in contact with the pavement as much as possible so no wheel is spinning out of control. As a result, staying on path moving forward as quickly as possible. This is where your tires come into play as well. Theres all type of safety nannies still active in the dme and tcu even with dsc off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Ok guys. I want to give you an update on my latest findings. This is definitely good news from where im sitting. I recently learned how to calibrate the steering angle sensor with ISTA d. After doing so, I noticed my cars braking actions wasn't as severe when cornering. It allowed to drive with more speed around corners. The system still applied braking force at some point but the drive felt overall better.

Now the really good news. I was in the dsc module going through each coding option and trying many different values to see what would help reduce power cuts during everyday normal driving and abnormal driving. Lol! Keep in mind, I've done this many times already in the past. I decided to give Dynamic Braking Control(DBC) another try. To my surprise, all of the continuous braking action I normally feel part throttle and full throttle appears to be gone! This is with dsc on, dtc on and dsc off. Car feels normal. Drives smooth and accelerates faster. The axle is released to put the power down now like it should without the wiggley laggy feeling!

My dsc module is MK60 97 COA. Parameters may appear slightly different in your module.
You want to look for is something like DBC min ausloesedruck which means bring on/operation force, strain or pressure. From factory mine is set as wert 01 value E4. The value is what's important not the wert. The data range is from 00-ff. I set my min DBC to a value of 00 which turns the feature all the way down. FF applies more pressure on the axle.

This doesn't eliminate all dsc nannies but It sure feels good accelerating without being held back by braking. Some safeties are needed on this car even with dsc off. I read in ISTA the steering angle should be calibrated after making changes to dsc. So this must have helped. See explanation of DBC.

Dynamic Brake Control (DBC).
When, in an emergency, you apply the brake pedal quickly and with force but without really further increasing brake pressure, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) instantly builds up maximum brake pressure, bringing your BMW more quickly to a halt.

Even when the driver fails to press on the brake pedal with adequate force, DBC ensures the braking distance will be a short as possible. The DBC control unit adjusts braking pressure to suit the current speed of the vehicle and the brake's level of wear. Furthermore, the DBC computer is networked with the vehicle's other chassis control systems, such as Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and the anti-lock brake system (ABS), which work together to ensure the highest levels of driving safety.
Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) supports the driver actively and reliably when braking in an emergency. By electronically monitoring the speed and pressure with which the driver applies the brake pedal, it is able to recognise an emergency braking situation - and instantly ensures that full braking power is applied to the wheels. This automatically puts the brake force into the ABS range of control.
This process ensures that the stopping distance is not lengthened unnecessarily by abrupt braking. Whether the driver applies the brakes quickly or slowly, the system responds to the driver’s actions automatically and ends brake pressure buildup via DBC.

The truth is DBC is active 100% of the time and that's why it responds to pedal input so fast.
Some give this a shot and let me know if it helps.
Yes DBC and a few other things (eDiff) are active all the time unless you program them out or pull the ABS/DSC fuse. The car CANNOT control the brakes with the fuse pulled PERIOD. Physically impossible. So that makes me doubt almost all of your opinion. It's highly likely that with the DSC fuse pulled, the DME is still capable of cutting power for traction control. But since you've pulled the DSC fuse, you can't turn off traction control with the button anymore so it's stuck on engine TC only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I coded this off on my car yesterday. My module was a MK60_87.C0F and it was originally set at wert 00 value E4, I manually added the value 00 using NCS Dummy.

Driving it today the pedal felt really good, but I don't think I'll be able to know for sure until I take it back to the track. When I was on-track in Dec I could feel this "feature" kicking in and as I tried to brake with linear input the pedal feedback would go from hard to soft as the system took over slowing down the car. It was really annoying.

Edit - For those who've made coding changes to the DSC module, did you calibrate the steering angle sensor and DSC afterwards? I've seen comments saying it is necessary and others saying it isn't.
I coded +SPBR (performance brakes) in the VO, brake fade compensation OFF, and engine power cut to prevent brake fade OFF yesterday. I didn't recalibrate anything yet. I haven't driven it today though. I figured it would throw an error if it really needed it. Couldn't hurt TBH and it's an easy procedure AFAIK.

I've got a track day beginning of October. I'm considering disabling the emergency brake feature as well but I don't even think I got it to enable in Autocross. It only comes on when you REALLY stab the brakes so it really shouldn't activate on a track since you should be somewhat smooth. You shouldn't be completely stomping the brakes anywhere IMO. I've felt it activate in my E46 and my E82 on the street once each (oops) so I know what it feels like. If it's a problem, then I'll code it out. I'll bring my laptop to the track haha.

FWIW I have the same module as you (C0F). July 2013 build.