View Single Post
      06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #48
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
If I wanted to fit the most tire up front WITHOUT fender modification, which wheel would I want to buy? I'll vote if you answer that!
Not sure if you mean by no modification no widebodies, etc or truly not even a fender roll. The answer to your question HIGHLY depends on your other suspension, for example camber, and whether you have the M lower control arms.

Assuming you have coilover suspension with the perch above the tire, an aggressive track-oriented alignment (over 3 degrees camber), and rolled fenders, you can fit a 17x9 with an effective offset of 30-33mm with a race-oriented 255-40-17 street tire such as the Bridgestone RE71R. This is the most that is really possible while maintaining full range of motion.

As you start subtracting from that list of preparation, what you can accomplish will go down. While I have not personally tried it, a normal 235-40-17 street tire on a 17x8.5 should be doable with a more moderate amount of camber (2+ degrees) and unrolled fenders as long as the offset is just right (ie as close as possible to the strut).

Mark
Appreciate 0