Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
These tires are now available in our stock sizes, 245/35 19 and 265/35 19. They are not on the Tire Rack website yet, but they are available for special order. I ordered a set- I'll report back after I get them on the car.

These are the OE tires on the 2014 GT3, Ferrari 458 Speciale, etc. Supposed to be sticky...
Sticky when warm, but slippery when cold and hot(the old Sport Cups). Perhaps there has been a change in compound and design?
Agree. The old ones were definitely less than impressive and they were also quite expensive. When they heat cycled out they became clag magnets and still looked like there was plenty of tread left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Both compound and design, yes. It's a completely new tire. It has a high 180 treadwear rating, supposed to be ~1.5% faster around an average course, and add significantly greater stability. I do expect they will still need a little heat to work. Same tires the 918 was wearing when it went <7:00 at the ring.
I am not yet aware of a " compound change/redesisgn" of a tire with the same name where there was a marked improvement over the original...
Consider... Bridgestone SO- series. (1,2,3,4) , Dunlop Direzza and it's improved version aka star spec, and then star spec II, Hankook RS-3 v1 and V2., Falken Azenis etc.. most times there is a slight improvment but basically a mild change versus the old model.

It seems to me if the tire was *completely redesigned* then a new name might be in order.. not just slapping a " 2" on it. For example.. Michelin PS2 changed to Michelin PSS. Obviously, going with a new name also has it's disadvantages and advantages (patents. trademarks, advertising.. brand recognition, buyer loyalty etc).

As far as the tire performing well on a vehicle... when it comes to OE tires.... the manufacturer normally contacts the tire company to make them a tire. From there the tire engineers work with the auto engineers to design the tire specifically for that car. (I have a friend that works for Goodyear.... and has designed tires for Nissan vehicles and Ferrarri models, so I know this first hand). While it is impressive that the tire did a 7:xx lap... there is nothing to say that a tire from BRAND Z might not run 2 seconds faster on the same car.... and perhaps the only reason that Tire A was designed for the vehicle and not the Brand Z tire was due to business politics or prior contracts.

With that in mind.. I'm skeptical that the Sport Cup 2 is a tire that will jump to the the top of the heap of the current crop of R tires, and I'll wait for your review.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-18-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0