View Single Post
      01-12-2020, 02:25 AM   #56
Philip12
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I recently spoke to a local dealer about getting my valve cover replaced as my PCV has failed and whistles. My car is a 2011 N51, originally purchased in PA, then I bought it as a CPO and registered it in NJ for a few years, now I live in TX. My local dealer was extremely helpful and actually was trying their hardest to make this work, but it turned out that my car could not be covered under the SULEV warranty. The service advisor explained that since I'm in TX which does not offer any sort of warranty, they look to the original registration state to determine eligibility for the warranty (for me, that is PA though I never lived there).

In the PDF above, there is a section on states that have partially adopted the SULEV warranty, but not fully. These states are Oregon, Washington, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. It even varies by year and by state - for example, PA adopted the warranty for 2009 and 2010, but not for 2011. If my car were 1 model year earlier, I would have the warranty.

If you're currently registered in a SULEV state, I'm not sure how this changes things. What I mean is if I were still living in NJ, and bought the car in PA, I'm not sure which state would apply - the current registration state or the original registration state. It could be that since I'm in TX they look to original, but if you're in a SULEV state, they honor it - that's something worth checking into.

Unfortunately this means some of us have the lower performance and higher complexity, and higher repair costs, of the N51 without the warranty. I would advise any N51 owners to fully read the document and be aware of whether the warranty applies to you or not.

BTW, I was able to confirm that my local dealer has done multiple SULEV warranty jobs in the past, so if you are in TX with a California car, for example, and the dealer says they can't do the work - they can. Call up Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth if you need assistance.

I’m in the same boat right now, but do you think it’ll work if mines was initially registered in California?
Appreciate 0