02-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The 1M and/or the 135i's(both N54 and N55's) do not have rod bearing or engine bearing issues.

That's only an e9x M3 and e60 M5 "thing". Basically those V8 and V10 engines were built very "tight" and the super thick 10W60 oil is just way too thick. Most guys in mild climates are using a 5w30 synthetic oil in those M cars. And having one's engine oil analyzed can help determine when your rod bearings are wearing out.

There have only been a handful of engine failures on the N54/N55 engines... and all of the ones I have seen were when the owners ran a piggy back tune and were running in excess of 22 psi. The BMW DME maps only provide fuel up to 18 psi(I believe). And no piggy back tune can add fuel. They only "trick" the engine into running more boost.

Replacing the OFH on a 1M or 135i/335i will not result in an engine failure.

I have seen some guys post about an engine failure after carbon cleaning done by a indi shop or "friend"... this is bc the tech wasn't careful about putting each cylinder to TDC and they used crushed walnut shells that got into the engine and caused engine failure. But again this has only been the case with a handful of owners. Now a days I think most shops use a chemical cleaner like "CRC's GDI Intake Cleaner" or the like.

Dack
Yeah I agree like from a truly rod bearings perpective E90 M3 and the V10 m5 for sure.

But I've been on E90 post and a few people have got engines go bad after OFHG work. Hell, even some BMW tech on Reddit say the N55s are grenading themselves and replacement N55s are on backorder right now. They're not running crazy PSI and some "normal" used X5s

Like there is definitely a problem IMO but I was just trying to gun it down either a yearly production defect or something strictly on the N55 and I think it's really just N55 at this point if you guys haven't seen anything.

That said I think I'm good to enjoy my car without worries
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50