View Single Post
      03-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I like it, except for the death trap base plates. I implore you to rethink them and tie them into the siderail.
As it is now, in a rollover situation it's just going to push right through the floorpan and allow the roof to crush. Effectively doing nothing.

AND, break a fuel line creating a fire hazard.
You raise a very legitimate concern. Your observation about the fuel line is particularly compelling. I will call it the "can opener" failure of the floorpan, where the floor plate punches through the floor skin, starting at a corner I have mitigated that by generous radii on the corners of the floor plates and 1/8" radii on the edges. Your comments make a compelling case that further mitigation is in order.
Bimmerworld uses an interesting approach on their 3-series bar to getting some of the vertical load off the floor and into the bulkhead. I considered this approach too, but have something else in mind that is still in the works. In any case, the bulkhead is much more accessible than the side rail in terms of getting load into existing vertical structure.

Name:  rollbar-harness-bar-E92-328i-335i-M3-harness-bar-black-installed-floor.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  105.6 KB
Appreciate 0