04-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehrui View Post
My first gear appears to be shot as it is constantly popping out of gear. Had the dealer take a look early on when it happened less often and was told the transmission is on its way out and was quoted a hefty price to replace it.

Lately its gotten worse and worse. I've located a replacement transmission online with low miles (~40k) and have a local shop that can do the work.

While I am replacing the transmission I plan to do the clutch as well since it, too, is on its way (car has ~120k miles). I was told I should do the flywheel as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should go with? OE replacement? Aftermarket? Also, anything else I should get done while the transmission is out?

Vehicle is a 2009 128i (N51)

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at the Valeo single mass flywheel & clutch package. Very good price for a new clutch/flywheel combo, same characteristics as stock, more reliable/longer lasting because of the single mass flywheel design. It will however be a bit noisier (more gear lash noise).

You can upgrade your transmission mounts for relatively cheap also - either M3 or Rogue Engineering rubber transmission mounts for example.

Last but not least, rebuild the full shifter mechanism, including uprated bracket bushings, upgrade to a DSSR maybe, shifter bushings, coupler etc etc.
Appreciate 0