View Single Post
      06-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #39
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
The issue with the Fram filters is their sealing gasket; its a simple mostly square ring and it does not lock well onto the filter. You can easily pull it off with your fingers. What has happened is someone removed it for an oil change and did not notice that the sealing gasket came off the filter and staying stuck to the engine. Put on a new Fram and now has 2 sealing gaskets there-it just doesn't work and had a massive oil leak. This was recognized by Honda in the early 1980's. Now BMW (& Toyota-maybe others) are using an "element" that goes inside a permanent oil filter housing and we all know how well this is working out. Anyways, I try to use OE filters as much as possible but will consider Fram for my not so important car.

Agreed. Fram actually makes the OE Honda filter, but does not use a square gasket, instead the proper rounded gasket. The square gasket is much more likely to leak. The Fram branded filters come with the much cheaper square gasket.

Just because it is made by the same company, does not mean it is made to the same quality.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 06-08-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50