GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
their rate of stock price rise is laughable. Would put bitcoin and dotcom bubbles to shame.
Kinda. A lot of investors learned their lesson with Google, Amazon, Apple, etc: always buy they breakout leader. I bought Apple at $19 in 2000 and sold it in 2010 - what a fuck up!

Sure, there are a lot of TSLA traders (not investors) - many were short and have been utterly demolished - others have obvs done really well. But many others (e.g., Chamath) realize that TSLA is about the only easy way to invest in energy deregulation and global decarbonization.

Smart investors are NOT investing in TSLA for its auto sales business - that's simply like Amazon's books business: it's what pays the bills to build the energy deregulation infrastructure, i.e., battery factories.

Amazon still sells books, and it's a pretty good business, but they didn't make much of a profit for 20 years. Investing in infrastructure vs profits doesn't seem to have been the wrong call.

And don't forget the history of the autos business:

* 1970s Japanese engine makers made niche econo import vehicles simply as a way to sell more engines (i.e., they only made cars - which they knew little about - to sell what they were good at, making engines). They don't even really make those any more. Same with motorcycles - honda invented the motocross motorcycle on accident because they tried to take on harley and failed but a shipping worker modded a leftover and rode it in the LA hills. Same thing with mountain bikes and marin county (modded schwinn world tour road bikes)

* BMW, Benz, etc made nice luxury convertibles in the 70s, and niche import sedans in the 80s.

Niche pays the bills for market expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Finally drove a Model 3 Dual Motor today ... It's certainly not a luxury car as the interior is very low rent but the speed makes up for it ... I think these are good commuter and non car people cars.
That's exactly what I thought - not for me for lots of reasons, but if I was 10 or 15 years younger, more into techy UIs, and was looking for a good commuter I'd for sure get it. Back when I was in that place I got an Audi A4 MT and it was an awesome commuter ... I'd probably have gotten the Model 3 though.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-07-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 1