01-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #133
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I'm not one of them - if this thing really fulfills its many promises, I'll trade my M3 in for one in a heartbeat. Don't really care about the power numbers, looks etc. However, there cannot be any excuses made for handling.

I've been waiting a long time for an M car like this, I'm so excited by the possibilities of this car - and the possibility of another Euro Delivery - I just hope it will not be disappointing.

Another point when discussing torque is to know what type of transmission it will have. If it's based on the current 135i 6sp, then it cannot handle more than 322 ft-lbs I believe. The DCT can go up to 369 if not mistaken (same as the overboost feature in the 335is).

Or they could base it off some other manual tranny - for example on the E39/E60 6sp, which is rated higher.

(Mine would have to be a 6sp manual).
TOTALLY agree about the handling requirement. FWIW, the 135i with the M3 tension and control arms, drives like a different car... much more positive steering feel. I very much assume that those pieces will be in the M1, along with M specific damping, valved specifically for the e82 platform. I would not be surprised to see the existing M3 sways in it as well, as we know they are direct fit. I would expect tower bracing though.

The N55 is getting a different Getrag 6sp unit, I thought. I'm also hoping they do something other than the DCT too. That would be a shame, if not.
Appreciate 0